Monday, July 23, 2012

Animals are not always warm and fuzzy.

Another day on the farm, another lesson to be learned.  Last week, I got the chickens fed and when I got to the cage where the 7 teen-agers were, (5 from Agway in Schgaticoke and 2 from the hatched eggs that were originally 13 in number*) I came upon another sign that animals are not always as sweet and warm & fuzzy as we would like to think they are.  There was a mauled carcass, lying in the cage, dead as the proverbial doornail and with the obvious evidence that the other birds had been the cause of its demise.  The night before, all seemed to be well and everyone was getting along.  Then, within a 12 hour period, life for one of those creatures ended...surely unprovoked.  I continue to contemplate the reality that while we humans are charged with the wellbeing of animals in our care, the animals themselves don't always want to cooperate. *We can safely assume that the numbers dwindled as a result of the local predators such as the coyote and fox population.

I have a number of friends who believe in animal rights - the notion that animals should be accorded the same level of care that a human being is entitled to...(and you can see how well we handle that).  I believe that animal welfare is our responsibility - but what I don't do - or at least anymore is ascribe human characteristics to the animals.  Yes, its true that we are finding more and more proof that animals have a higher level of intelligence than we initially thought.  Or maybe it's a higher level of capabilities - a fine distinction I acknowledge, subtle, but defining a difference.  I have no doubt that they have a level of awareness that allows them to be upset or scared and yes, even caring with the attendant compassionate behaviors that express that - (Come see me sometime when I'm sick, the animals know it...at least the more domesticated ones, like the canines and kitties).  But what I wish my animal loving friends could see or acknowledge is that they can also be cruel and viscious.  That little bird was decimated for no apparent reason.  Although perhaps there was a reason that I can't comprehend because I am not a chicken but whatever it might be - was it any less painful to the chicken so cornered?  Since living on the farm, I have seen numerous examples of animals turning on other animals.  I have seen how the "wild" animals will think they hit paydirt because they can come into our little refuge and leave after feasting on an unexpected banquet.  And have you ever heard cats going after one another?  Holy toledo...it doesn't do much for your nervous system to get that wake-up call. 

Then there are is army of rats - dear things.  I actually don't mind rats.  I've been around domesticated rats and they are intelligent and engaging.  I'd have one as a pet if I didn't have enough animals to care for in the house.  The ones I refer to are the ones that live in the barn and the chicken house.  Now, there must have been some understanding that they came to because it does not appear that these rats actually go after the chickens.  Or even the eggs.  This is probably because we are feeding them....via the chicken feed.  They live in hog heaven...so to speak.  (Our 3 little pigs are pretty happy with their lot in life as far as I can tell.)  But these rats are not helping enhance our little world.  They are eating the chickens out of house and home.  And since these guys aren't domesticated, they probably carry disease carrying fleas.  Although the fleas are probably happy.  But I don't want any plague type infestation to take place.  Soooo what to do, what to do?  Should we humanely trap them and find them new digs?  Where would it be that they would stay and settle in, making a new home for themselves?  And then when the next group heard about our place, what would stop them from moving in?  We can't continue to support the rats.  I don't want to kill them but I don't know what else to do.  In very simplistic terms, it can be compared to our weeding endeavors.  I mean, the weeds were here first and they aren't really hurting anything.  But actually they do.  They divert nutrients that the food plants need.  If one is going to plant produce or similar type products, one has to kill the weeds so the needed plants can grow.   - The rats are weeds in the struggle for life.

Then there was that racoon episode.  I entered the chicken house one day - while talking on the phone thereby being somewhat distracted - and I heard something in the corner.  Not 2 feet from me was a raccon - doing his best to get away and GET OUT.  I didn't want him hanging around either but he was basically backed into a corner. And cornered animals aren't happy animals.  What he was doing there in the middle of the day leads me to believe he may not have been well.  When you see a wild animal up close and personal at that time it is not a good thing.  Fortunately, the chickens were protected by a wire wall, keeping them away from the critter.  Had he been able to get to them, the carnage would have been horrific.  It would have been a scene from a disaster movie.  Yep - those cute fuzzy little critters are NASTY.  If you want a racoon, get a stuffed one.  Now Dave feels no love lost for the beasts as one nearly committed homicide (using human terms) a few years ago on his beloved dog, Debbie.  The thing got her collar and twisted, trying to strangle her.  I guess they do have reasoning skills.  This one was bound and determined to end Debbie's life.  Dave finally saved her but he does not adhere to the idea that the animal world is one in which have reached where the lion and the lamb can lie down together in peace.  He took care of this 2nd rogue racoon and the chickens were saved.

We look forward to the day when the vision that Isaiah shared will come to pass but we aren't there yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment